Friday, September 23, 2011

Tap Art

Tap Art.... this is my new post series highlighting some of the art on the tap-tap's here in Haiti. For those who don't know, a tap-tap is a form of public transport in Haiti. They are brightly colored, fairly inexpensive, and really crowded. To signal for the driver to stop you simply tap on the metal of the truck, hence the name "tap-tap". Some of the art on the tap-taps are quite amazing. Some of the art is a bit odd and some is just downright bizarre! I have seen so many different designs over this past year, I wish I would have thought to share it before now. I apologize for the quality as most times I am shooting through a really dirty windshield! 

OK, here is the first one... I see this one around a lot. 2-Pac is alive... and in Haiti!


Soccer is always a big theme on tap-taps. Haitians, like most of the world, love their soccer!


I have to admit, I'm not sure what is going on with this tap-tap. But I wish you could see a close-up of the lady's face. She is pissed. Is this someone's spouse, sister, enemy? And what is up with the Chinese looking writing on the bottom? And who is Brother Wen? So many unanswered questions...


And my favorite one of late... If you speak Kreyol and can see the letter "a" hiding behind the head on the left, you know this isn't quite as funny as it appears. But at first glance, I was really wondering what this art was trying to say :) 



There is a riddle here in Haiti: How many people can you fit on a tap-tap?

Can you guess?

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing the answer is 'all of them'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Sounds like Tap-tap is Haiti's reply to Kenya's Matatu. Same concept - crowded, cheaper transportation. The name matatu comes from the initial standard fare for any destination around Nairobi - 3 cents.
    In the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, the vehicles were decorated with graffiti-like art until about 5 years ago when the government banned the artwork because some were putting up vulgar and indecent text and images!

    ReplyDelete